Dental Crowns Can Protect And Reignite Your Smile
February 15, 2021 7:00 am
At Serene Dentistry, many of our patients have had dental crowns (or crown & bridge treatment) to restore their beautiful smiles. But many haven’t, and we often get questions about what a crown is and why we would place one. We’re glad to take a moment today to give you a general overview and let you know why this technique is so successful, popular, and in demand.
What is a dental crown?A crown (or cap) is a fixed prosthetic device which simply means it’s a tooth restoration that you don’t remove – it stays permanently in your mouth to support and strengthen a tooth. It also refines its shape, alignment, color, and function. In days past, most crowns were made of gold, but now, because of their beauty, strength, and natural look, most crowns are made of porcelain. They’re so life-like, only you and your dentist in McKinney – us! – know that you’re sporting one.
The most common uses for crowns include:
- Preventing a weak tooth from breaking
- Restoring a broken tooth
- Preserving & supporting a tooth that has had root canal treatment
- Supporting tooth structure when a significant portion of the tooth has been filled
- Covering severely discolored or poorly shaped teeth
- Affixing a replacement tooth (called a pontic) to make a bridge after tooth loss.
Tags: bridges, Crown & bridge, crowns, gap in teeth, missing teeth, missing tooth, replacement teeth
Categorised in: Restorations