With the use of proper technique and if brushing long enough, both electric and manual toothbrushes can be effective for cleaning your teeth. However, it may be easier with an electric toothbrush and they better remove plaque that causes tooth decay and disease.
There are several advantages of electric toothbrushes over manual ones.
- Electric toothbrushes decrease more plaque and gingivitis compared to manual toothbrushes.
- Built-in timers in electric toothbrushes help cover all the teeth for long enough time.
- If you have orthodontic appliances like braces, electric toothbrushes help clean your teeth easier.
- People with limited mobility due to carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis can use an electric toothbrush much easier than a manual one.
- Technique is not a factor with an electric toothbrush since the brush head does all the work for you.
- Some electric toothbrushes have pressure monitors warning you of excessive force on the teeth.
- Electric toothbrushes, that are not single-use, help reduce waste as only the brushing head needs to be replaced when it is time.
- Electric toothbrushes are safe for the gums and fun for kids.
Serene Dentistry Recommendation
Even though electric toothbrushes can be more expensive, their benefits outweigh the manual toothbrushes. Serene Dentistry recommends using an electric toothbrush twice a day along with flossing once a day.
Brush your teeth about 30 minutes after eating, and only after rinsing your mouth with fresh water. With acidic foods, brushing your teeth immediately after eating or drinking weakens tooth enamel that leads to tooth decay.
Proper brushing and flossing will keep your teeth healthy and good oral health helps keep up good overall physical and mental health. Regular dental check up and cleaning are as important because they help keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Please call us for your dental exam and hygiene appointment. Alternately, you can also fill out the contact us form and provide a good time for us to reach you.